close
close
Counters add new counter Standard counter counter id : 6290370 (Hidden) id counter displays: 6290370 site ID: 4637739 Hidden tracker Counter code standard NO JAVASCRIPT Site use frames Paste this code in your HTML editor where you would like to display the counter, at the bottom of the page, in a table, div or under a menu. gdpr policy for your website
bulletin

Garden hose used to fight small house fires

A man who was seriously injured when a small house caught fire in Canterbury tried to fight the blaze with a garden hose.

Dunsandel firefighter Al Sheppard said the small house on Karanga Rd had burned to the ground by the time they arrived at 6.08am on Sunday. A car parked next to it was also on fire.

It took units from Dunsandel, Hororata and Rakaia five minutes to bring the fire under control. At the time they could not determine what the cause was.

A spokesperson for Hato Hato St John said ambulance crews treated one person at the scene before transporting them to Christchurch Hospital.

Meanwhile, a shower almost turned into disaster after a faulty heat lamp caught fire in a property in Lincoln.

A mother and daughter were in the Liffey Pl building when the heat lamp in the bathroom caught fire on the King’s Birthday.

Lincoln Fire Chief Deputy Tim Quinlivan said the mother was about to take a shower when she turned on the heat lamp and then left the room for five minutes.

When she returned and noticed the heat lamp was on fire, she alerted her daughter, and they closed the bathroom and bedroom doors to prevent the smoke from spreading. The mother then called 111.

Quinlivan said the fire was out upon arrival.

The flames had burned through the ceiling and melted a water pipe, extinguishing the fire.

He said the bathroom was the only room damaged, thanks to the couple’s quick thinking.

If they had not closed the bathroom door, there would have been a risk of fire spreading.

Quinlivan said they could not determine how the lamp caught fire because it burned beyond recognition. He said it was old and well used.

He advised all people with heat lamps to perform regular maintenance, as dust buildup and a malfunctioning fan can cause lamps to overheat and cause fires.

By Isabella Adams

Related Articles

Back to top button